Friday, January 30, 2015

Module 3: Cartography

    In this module's lab assignment, we created three different maps representing different types of information about the same area. The first map represented the population in the different states of Mexico and the second map represented the major roads and rivers in Mexico. In this particular map, the topography of Mexico is represented using a DEM, or Digital Elevation Model, uploaded to the ArcMap software and clipped to show the elevation only in the country of Mexico. This map was easy to transition from the previous map, so I had very little trouble creating it. The only difficult part was choosing a color scheme to represent the elevation. It was fun to create this map and navigate through the different tools we used, such as the legend symbology editor and symbology properties editor. I feel that as I progressed through the lab, each map I created was slightly better than the last and I hope to continue working this way throughout this course. I am really enjoying being being able to create visually appealing maps that represent useful data. This lab provided me with some good practice for positioning and selecting the types of data I want to represent that I am certain I will need for all of my future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment