Friday, February 6, 2015

Cartography Module 4: Typography


     For this module's lab assignment, we were to create a map of Marathon, Florida while following the general typographic guidelines for labeling the features that needed to represented on the map. I used CorelDraw design software to label and edit a map that were were provided with. The map was a plain base map of the Marathon area with no labels. I added the labels to the map using the text tool and I edited the text in the text properties window. I created curves for the labels by drawing a 3 point curve and clicking on the curve with the text bar to type on it. While doing this, I tried to keep in mind the general typographic guidelines. I provided unique label points for the areas of interest that were assigned for us label by using the text tool and trying out the different ESRI fonts to find symbols that were appropriate. There may have been a more efficient way to do this but I could not figure it out. I added an inset map to show the general location of Marathon, Florida with respect to the Florida Keys. I tried to choose a color scheme that would appropriately represent Marathon.  I added all other essential map elements to follow the protocol for creating a successful map. 
     We were also instructed to add three personal touches to our maps to make them unique. These are the three that I decided to go with:

1. I added a subtle wood grain texture to the background of the legend to help make the style of the map unique to the area it is representing. I felt that wood grain would has a nice natural appearance and the Keys are known for having beautiful natural features. I stained it blue to stick with the color scheme I chose for the map.
2. I added an orange conch shell near the title mainly for decorative purposes. I believed it would help me achieve my goal of trying to give the map a style that uniquely represents the Keys since conch shells are found in the keys.
3. I decided to add the phrase “The Heart of the Keys” beneath the title because Marathon, Florida is sometimes referred to as the heart of the keys, which seems appropriate given its location in relation to the rest of the Keys. 

     Overall, this module was pretty fun and helpful to go through. I struggled with CorelDraw when I first started working but as I progressed through the module (and had to repeat some of my work that I lost when eDesktop shut down), I got the hang of how to use the tools. I used this module as an opportunity to explore the software so that I can better understand the features it has to offer. After I  was finished, I felt like I learned a lot about map design and CorelDraw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment