Friday, February 6, 2015

Module 4: GIS Technology





     For this module, we went onto the ESRI Training site to learn about ArcGIS Online and map packages (how to create, export and share them online) .To begin, I created an ESRI account so that I could access the virtual training courses for this module and for future use.
     The first training course, "Creating and Sharing GIS Content Using ArcGIS Online," taught me about the wide range of capabilities that ArcGIS Online has. There was a series of slides that I went through and within them there were two short videos that I watched which discussed the capabilities of ArcGIS online and the multiple methods for sharing GIS content.The training videos that I watched in this course and the next were very effective in teaching me about the different tools provided by ArcGIS online; they were both concise and informative. Since I like to have a visual reference while learning new concepts, I appreciated this part of the course.
     The second training course, "Creating and Sharing Map Packages in ArcGIS" contained another series of slides with descriptive material, example scenarios, exersizes that guide you through the software, and questions to test yourself with as you go along. Contained were two more short videos that I watched which taught me about map and tile packages and how to extract and reference data. I felt that this training course was really helpful because the videos showed very clear step by step instructions as the speaker described the processes. Overall, the ESRI virtual training courses were easy to navigate and incredibly informative.
     After going through the training courses, I completed the "Optimize a Map Package" exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment