Friday, February 27, 2015

Module 7: Choropleth and Proportional Symbol Mapping


     For this week's lab, we worked in ArcMap to create a choropleth map with 3 data frames. I used graduated symbols to portray wine consumption, European population density, female population percentage, and male population percentage. To create this map, I began by uploading a data set containing the population density for European countries. I used a sequential color scheme under the properties>symbology tab for this layer to display the quantities. I decided to use the quantile classification method because I felt that this classification method gave the best distribution. The population density data needs to be normalized to have a more accurate representation.  I then adjusted my break values for the gender populations so it can be easily understood. The last data frame I added to the map was the data frame showing wine consumption per capita. I decided to use circle shaped graduated symbols in a wine-red color to represent this data in a way that is clear but still provides visual interest. Once I finished tweaking all of my data frames, I went on to add the essential map elements and adjusted the color ramps a little bit until I was satisfied with my final product.

1 comment:

  1. Great analysis of the data that you had at your disposal to portray all the factors given.
    ...Great work Tati...from Raúl

    ReplyDelete